Sunday, March 1, 2009

Hurricane Alyssa, Beefy Noodle Casserole and a Validation

Awww, don't you love Sundays? I like to try new recipes on Sundays and veg all day long. Rob and I watched Pineapple Express earlier and I just threw dinner in the oven. I declared this Sunday Stay Inside and Watch Movies because it's Raining Cats and Dogs Outside Day.

I found a recipe in the Weight Watcher community swap message board I've been wanting to try. They aren't receipes WW created, but recipes WW members have found or created (they tell you how many servings each recipe has and how many points).

So I decided to make Beef Noodle Casserole tonight. It's basically a meatloaf with noodles in it. Kind of strange but I was game. Rob eats my WW meals but he is on his own diet plan. He doesn't count points but calories so I had to tell him how many calories were in tonight's dinner. I knew how many points it had (7) because that's what it said online. So I added up all of the calories and decided to add up the fat and fiber too to make sure the poster wasn't deceiving me - I wanted to make sure it was truly 7 points. To my horror, it came to 11 points. 11!!! For those who have never done WW, you might be thinking "big whoop - its 4 points." Um - 4 points is like eating 2 bean brownies or 4 latte ice cream bars, 2 servings of polenta, 2 BAGS of unflavored popcorn. It's a big deal, alright? So I kind of freaked out. I didn't even want to eat it. I went up stairs to tell Rob the bad news - it was also bad news because it was over HIS calorie amount too. Being the neurotic point nazi that I am, I decided to re-count everything. To my delight, I realized I multiplied wrong on the beef's calorie content: it's 140 calories for 4 ozs, not 440! That made a big difference. And guess what, it IS 7 points! So in the end, I felt bad for calling the anonymous recipe submitter the horrible names I thought of in my head which I will not repeat. She's probably some sweet old grandma in the midwest who struggled with weight all her life, and her mission now is to help young ladies like me get our butt into gear whilst eating a delicious, low cal dinner. This is another example of validating I made the right decision to not be an accountant. Yes, for a brief moment, I wanted to be an accountant. I also wanted to be an engineer one time, because, I liked the internet. Not kidding at all.

Speaking of going off on a tangent, please tell me I'm not the only one whose kitchen looks like a bomb went off when they cook. As the dinner was in the oven I looked around and saw....

the door open to the lazy susan where I took out a pot to boil water for the pasta...



splattered recipe paper with cheese bag and worcestershire bottle...



doors open from when I grabbed a mixing bowl...



random used teaspoons and ketchup...



chopping board, knife, teaspoon, half onion, some noodles and our telephone...



cupboard open from getting strainer from the top shelf...



drawer open from...I don't remember...



cabinet open from getting the salt...




empty tomato juice can, brown sugar from breakfast and mixing bowl...




I can honestly say I DID clean up along the way, but I guess I didn't get everything.

Then, a little fairy comes in and makes it all better.



In the end, the recipe wasn't awesome. It was ok. I think it kind of smelled like wet cat food. I won't include a picture because it also looked a little like wet cat food.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

As a fellow WW member, I got a good laugh with the miscalculation. I was seriously feeling your pain and so happy that you calculated wrong!

As far as your kitchen, I always seem to make a mess too, except you got to throw some baby rattles & pacifiers on the counter and Dylan's zillion cars and trains on the kitchen floor. :)

Rob said...

what i don't understand is how you can create two dishwasher loads of bowls, pots, pans, and utensils on a recipe that only has 6 or 7 ingredients. it boggles my mind.

oh, and my verification word is "miceliz".

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your miscalculation was corrected Alyssa and only 7 points..wet catfood or no, I think I'm going to try that one.

Oh, yes, Rob, I can believe two dishwasher loads of "stuff" and the shrapnel-littered counters - remember - I used to live with her :)

Hmmm...I think I like my verification word better.. it's "drisfie" - I think that it sounds like techno-babble.