Thursday, July 21, 2011

Entryway.

Our entryway had been pretty much empty for 2.5 years. I wanted an entryway table badly but there were other items that were higher priority so we went without for awhile. I would go online and check websites for entryway tables. I found some I liked but I didn't love the price so it was easy to hold out.

After I stopped working, I started nesting and was obsessed with making the entryway look like someone actually lived in the home. As luck would have it, I found THE entryway table at Pier 1. I was in love. It wasn't something I had in mind but when I saw it, I was in love. I was in love except for the huge crack in the table. They offered it to me for half off. I thought about it for a few days - maybe I could put a runner on it but even at half off, it was still a decent amount of money. I decided I wanted a new one that had no cracks in it. After I made that decision, I found out it was sold out at all my local stores and they were not making any orders because they were back logged or something at the warehouse. I called Santa Cruz and they had 1 in the back - a bit of a drive but it was worth it. I love it so.

Its hefty and solid. Delicious. I was then on a mission to get "stuff" to put on it. I fell in love with a blue vase at Pier 1 and wanted to do something with it. My mom suggested a local florist (Stems). I went in there and loved her work and she made that arrangement for us. The mirror was a Home Goods find. I then wanted something on the other side that was sort of antique/older since the vase and table are so modern. I found that wooden box at Home Goods, I had the little picture frame already (there is a picture of Buddy is in the frame - I'm not quite sure what to put in the frame) and we already had the little candle holder.

I wanted to create some height and while at my in-laws saw some really old books that I thought would look neat. When I was at my mom's I asked her if she had any old books that I can use on the table. I didn't care what the books were, just that they were old looking.


She went to her living room and opened a cabinet and said "what about these?" She opened this book up



How cool is that? I wanted an old looking book and my mom randomly selected one that was given to my grandpa in 1931 by his teacher for perfect attendance that he then gave to me 1985. It just makes it much more special than having some random old book there. So neat, it was meant to be!

I also got this bench from Home Goods so people can take off their shoes and not have to sit on the stairs or perform a balancing act. I love the green, blue and chocolate brown paisley print. The blue ties in with the vase quite well.


The entryway is probably my favorite spaces in our house. I'm not sure what the next project is, I think we're going to stay steady for awhile. I'd love to paint the staircase a dark brown but we got a quote and it was definately not in the budget. Maybe some day!

2 comments:

C said...

Nice job! I'm especially loving your mirror :)

Gale Hoover Hammond said...

Grandpa would have been really proud that his old school book went into your entry, Alyssa. He's probably watching from heaven, smiling :)