Thursday, January 13, 2011

I'm Back on the Market.

I joined my local "Las Madres" mom group to meet other moms with kids that were born in 2009. I joined a few months ago and only went to 1 very brief playdate and the Holiday Party at the Little Gym. I didn't really meet anyone at either event because Charlie was running around and I was chasing him to make sure he didn't get into any trouble or be too agressive with kissies to the other kids.

Last night my sister and I (who also has a kid who was born in 2009 and is part of the same mama's group) went to our first MNO, also known as "Mom's Night Out". We met at a mexican restaurant a couple towns over for dinner/drinks. I was looking forward to meeting some other moms sans kids since the kids make it a bit harder to actually have an interrupted conversation. I'm a bit of an introvert until I'm "comfortable" so I wasn't sure how the event was going to go. Ashley and I had a good time and it was nice to meet the other moms. There were only 9 of us so it was easier to have conversations than when there is a big group of people. Funny enough, one of the ladies used to work with my good friend, Jen.

I realized when I was there that meeting other mamas is very similar to dating. I hoped they liked me, thought I was smart/funny and had a decent fashion sense. I hope they also didn't notice the roll hanging over the top of my jeans. I wore a new necklace and new top and blew dry my hair. I thought "do we have anything in common?" and "I think we'd have a good time together." I didn't go to the MNO to find my new BFF (or life partner, ha!) but I was hoping to meet some ladies that not only had kids similar to Charlie's age but someone whose company I'd enjoy.

I think I'd like to go out and see them again. Hope they liked me. :)

3 comments:

Gale Hoover Hammond said...

What an interesting way to look at this! I never thought of it before, but it is sorta like "Mom dating" (or whatev)and I DO vividly remember babysitting co-ops etc. where I wanted to make a good (ok, decent) impression on the other moms...i.e. hoped they thought I was 'fun' or was somebody they would enjoy knowing. Of course not everybody "clicks" with everybody else, but I'm happy to hear you had a good time now that you're officially BOM :)

Alyssa said...

What is BOM?

heidileanne said...

Ha! Too funny, I know exactly what you mean. I was thinking the other day as I was headed out to a mom's book club with my nicely done hair, fresh make-up, and cute out fit on, "Oh, I hope the new women joining us like me, and think I'm interesting, and funny, and smart. Maybe I'll even find a 'kindred spirit' to make friends with!" lol It does very much feel like "dating" again.