Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What's in a Name?

I won't go into why but I googled surburban chic today mainly to see if my blog comes up (it does) and found something interesting. Before I go into that, I have a confession. A few people have said to me, "I like the name of your blog, Suburban Chick, so cute!" I never corrected them, but my intent was for my blog to be Suburban CHIC not CHICK, pronounced "sheek". To me it was an oxy moron. There isn't too much glamour to the word Suburban or those who choose to live in the 'burbs. Chic can be defined as "attractive and fashionable", "style and elegance" or "stylishness or modishness." Anywho, people liked "chick" so I didn't correct them. I liked that they liked it - even though it was not my original intent.

Anywho, I found on the google page that Suburban Chic is actually a terminology that I didn't know about or maybe I did on some subconscious level. Maybe all of you knew this except me?

Urban Dictionary says Suburban Chic means:

Usually used to describe women past their prime who lives in smaller towns, or suburbs, but think that they are hip, and dresses real smart. The fact is however that you clearly can tell that they'er not from a big city, and that they don't really follow the newest trends.

Example:

Look at that woman, she really think she is hip

yes, she is so suburban chic

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I think your Blog has redefined the Google interpretation of the name(Suburban Chic. I also think your first take on it was spot on - a fun oxymoron (sorta like "Mushroom City Memoirs" was kind of a spoof in that it was a funny name for a town coupled with the snooty-sounding "memoirs" but whatever! -because the column is now called "South Valley Memoirs" (not nearly as funny) but because it's now running in all three south county newspapers they thought its name shouldn't be so MH-specific. ANYWAY...TMI - but what I'd really like to point out is the Google definition would be more appropriately likened to "Shabby Chic" (i.e. a woman beyond her prime) hanging on by her fingernails (oops, I almost said "fangs" - a little slip there...) and Yes, I know, Shabby Chic is a decorating style - but I think somebody in Google-Land got it ALL wrong!!! But that's just me :) And sorry such a long comment!!!