Saturday, November 1, 2008

Happy Halloween!

Boo! Did I scare ya? Yes, Halloween is over, but this is my offical Halloween Post. We waited until the last minute and carved the pumpkin yesterday. We decided to try to not do anything fancy because fancy usually ends up looking anything but. So I said to Rob, lets just do triangle eyes and nose with a big grin. He drew the little face in all but 5 seconds and wa-la ~ I think it was our best pumpkin ever! Yes, its simple but I thought it was very cute. If there was a "Happiest Pumpkin Face" award we would have won it.




While Rob was carving the pumpkin he was giving me a hard time b/c I was the one who "wanted to carve the pumpkin" but while he was carving, I was "playing on the internet, again". I explained to him I was google-ing how to roast/toast pumpkin seeds. I had never done this and thought it would be kind of fun. It seems the main ingredient was seasoning salt which I didn't have. I looked a little further and got a recommendation from a board I frequent to add garlic powder. They assured me salt would do (instead of seasoning salt) so I lightly coated the seeds with olive oil, dashed a little salt and garlic powder and was about to put them in the oven (350 degrees by the way) when out of the corner of my eye I saw my spice carousel. I walked over to it and gosh darnnit I had seasoning salt! So I sprinkled a little bit of that on as well realizing these may turn out to be a wee bit salty. I was told to leave them in the oven until they were golden brown so I set the timer for 10 minutes. Around the 6.5 minute mark I smelled something burning. Next time I'll try 5minutes. I gave them to Rob to try and he didn't really like them but then they grew on him and he liked them. Yeah!



My parents came over because they do not get any trick or treaters where they live and wanted to get in on the festivities. They too enjoyed the seed appetizer - double yeah! We ended up getting Indian takeout and watching the Ghost Adventures and Most Haunted shows on the Travel Channel that we had in our DVR.

I think I smell a new Halloween tradition.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am definitely IN on that new tradition. Indian food was soooooo yummy! And those seeds were perfect - the extra salt made them super good. Great carving job on the pumpkin - his big smile made the candle inside extra "glow-y" :) And your street wins the prize for most trick-or-treaters - wow! You had more kids there last night than we've had in the combined 25 Halloweens we've lived in MH!! We went through HOW MANY bags of candy?????????

Dorothy said...

Love the pumpkin!! Where did you get Indian food in MH?

Alyssa said...

Its called Sitar and is on Cochrane. Check it out!