Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentines '09

I hope everyone had a great Valentines, however you define it. We had plans to go down to Aptos for the night but unfortunately Rob woke up not feeling well. We decided to stay home so he can rest up plus the weather was supposed to be nasty and wanted to stay off the roads as much as possible. Rob was worried he "ruined Valentines Day" but I assured him he did not. We ended up lounging around all day which was pretty darn fun if you ask me. We got our sweats and warmest socks on, and cuddled up on the couch to watch a movie. Since we were planning to be out of town, our Sunday was freed up as well - gotta love that!

Yucky weather outside:


I wanted to make dinner for Rob and after reading him the titles of about 7 recipes in my weight watchers cookbook, he only reacted to the "Beefy Chili". Beefly chili it was. Nothing says Valentines like kidney beans and beef. I served the chili over polenta.

Beefy Chili (weight watchers Easy Weeknight Favorites book)

1 pound ground round
1 1/4 c chopped onion (medium onion)
1 c chopped green bell pepper
1 garlic clove, minced (I used three because I'm crazy like that)
1 16-oz can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5-oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 1/4 c water
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Cook first 4 ingredients in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until beef is browned, stirring to crumble beef.



Add kidney beans and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 7 minutes.



Yield: 4 servings
Points: 4
Calories: 244
Fat: 4.6g
Fiber: 7.5g

If you want to add polenta,



I suggest the Trader Joe's polenta. I gave a quarter of it to Rob and a quarter for me. If you use the same amount, add 2 points.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you stayed home - what a great idea! I've loved being home today while the rain came down. I made some weird-lookin' wholewheat bread in my new bread machine - but it tastes good so that's the main thing, right? Also making Barefoot Contessa's onion soup recipe (8 pts. - kinda pricey in terms of points but it was SO soup weather today!!!) Your chili over polenta sounds YUM :)

Dorothy said...

Very Sweet! I will have to try the TJ polenta.