Saturday, February 21, 2009

Let's Talk Scallops

It's no secret, I'm not a fan of seafood. There are a few things I like: tuna (as in tuna fish sandwiches), calamari (as in fried calamari), fish and chips (as in fried fish with french fries), you get the point.

I had scallops awhile ago at PF Changs and I thought the sauce was really good and the scallops didn't have a fishy taste. Dorothy told me "scallops are the bubble gum of the sea" because they are chewy. I agreed.

Then, we went to Hawaii last year and I had the most wonderful scallops I've ever had. Granted they were the second ones I've had but they were really good. I said "I like these, they aren't chewy." My mother in law said "they aren't supposed to be chewy if you cook them right." Aww, ok, I get it now.

Lately I've been craving scallops and decided to give them a shot. I was nervous of overcooking thus resulting in bubblegum type fish. Plus, this is the first fish I have cooked, ever. I called my mom on the way home from work last night to ask her what I put on scallops. She recommended capers and garlic so off to Trader Joe's I went.

I decided to serve the scallops over pasta. All you need is



and follow the instructions on the scallops package. My package said to dip each scallop in salt, pepper and garlic powder before cooking. In the end, the scallops were so non-bubblegum-ish that I was able to cut them with the side of my fork. I have to say I was quite impressed with myself!

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

So what you are telling me is that scallops AREN'T the bubble gum of the sea??? Hmmm, you have to cook me some scallops.

Anonymous said...

Those look YUMMY! Did you buy the scallops at T.J.'s, too? You probably told me but forgot what you said... ANYWAY - you've given me the courage to give 'em a whirl again. I've been guilty of overcooking them in the past a la Dorthy's "Bubblegum of the Sea" dish :)

Alyssa said...

Yup - TJ's frozen scallops. The big ones.