Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Supper Club - Mexico Style

At the last Supper Club, Rob mentioned he wanted to make tortas at the next Supper Club. I "ran with it" and dubbed the next Supper Club, Mexico Night! I tried to get everyone in the mood by sending out the evite in Spanish. I think all it did was cause confusion - I mean why would Flan translate to Pudding? Shouldn't the translator know that Flan is a spanish word (it is, right?) and it shouldn't be translated? It makes sense for us to say "we will not be serving flan" (because it's nasty - sorry Mom, I know you like it), but instead our evite translated to "we will not be serving pudding."

Rob didn't end up making tortas, but he did make chicken enchiladas and sopes. They were delish. As Rob was making the sopes,



the boys were watching tv



and the girls were checking out flights to Cabo for our upcoming Friend-Cation. Buddy was giving his input on best places to stay in the area which were dog friendly.



Yes, it's Mexico night and we were planning our trip to Cabo. I couldn't have planned it better had I actually realized the coincidence.

Did I mention Buddy got a haircut on Saturday before Supper Club? This is Buddy saying "how you doin'?" a la Joey on Friends.



Once everything was ready,



we all congregated to the kitchen.



As promised, I did not serve flan or pudding. I did however have the proper ingredients for an old fashioned s'more. Today my trainer told me in Spanish its pronounced "s-more-ay". I started thinking how I didn't know s'mores were spanish/mexican, and then he starts busting up laughing. Yes, I'm that gullible.



Some people cheated and used the microwave (ahem, Brian) but others did it proper by using the stove top since our fire pit outside is currently not to code.



Another coincedence was that I made brownies that morning and guess what the ingredients were? Ok, I'll tell you:



Yes, the ingredients were brownie mix and black beans. Black beans = mexican decent, right? No oil. No butter. No water. Nothing. Just the two ingredients. And you know what? They were good! To get the recipe, go here: http://weight-watchers-points-recipes.blogspot.com/2008/06/black-bean-brownies-2-pts.html



Thanks everyone for a fun Supper Club! We missed you D'Amicos, see you next time!

3 comments:

Dorothy said...

Me gusta los brownies con frijoles. Todos los comidas estaban delicioso!

Melissa said...

Thank you for the link for the black bean brownies! I'm gonna make them this afternoon and see what Doug's says. I needed this to get me back on track. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, those brownies! I have to try those for a chocolate fix! Forgot about them - thanks, Alyssa!

And tell Buddy that "Casa Hammond-ez" where he will be vacationing in April while you are on your "friend-cation" will be scheduling bean-less, pudding-less fiestas for his visit with Senior Flan El Lhasa-ha Apso-sita.