Saturday, December 29, 2007

Rivermark Shooting - Number of Casualties Unknown

So today started off like any other Saturday. I woke up around 9:00 am, took Buddy out to go potty, fed him, lounged around for a bit and then woke up Rob. I procrastinated on my and Buddy's walk this morning and didn't walk him until around 11:30 am. Little did I know, this procrastination would lead us into a war zone.

We were about 3/4 of the way done with our walk when as we were walking outside one of the single family homes, 2 boys opened the front door and turned towards our direction. They must have been 8 or so. They had guns in their hands (nerf type, fluroscent colors, etc.). I said "dont' shoot!". They didn't really think this was humorous but they liked Buddy. They put down their guns and pet him as Buddy's left paw was tapping on the cement sidewalk. Apparently, unbeknownst to me, I was acting as an accomplice.


Next thing we know, a middle aged man with a large gun (similar to the ones the boys had) comes running towards the two distracted (by Buddy and I) young boys firing his weapon. Orange foamy bullets were flying everywhere. The boys quickly got up, grabbed their guns and started firing at Seargant Dad. At this point I say "Buddy, we are under attack, let's go!". No one thought this was funny. I don't even know if they realized we were still there, just feet away from the scene of the unfolding crime. I look down at Buddy and he is LOVING this. He wants to join in on the fun as I am dragging him down the sidewalk. Buddy's body somehow turned to jelly and he appeared to not be able to stand, move, etc. I look back and see what looks like a mini blimp/nurf football soaring through the air amidst all the bullets. I really was speechless.

I was finally able to drag him home and now he is passed out in the family room. Our morning walk sure took a lot out of him, and me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny story - - next time you can borrow Puddin' to take with you and Buddy - Puddin' could poop on somebody's foot, thereby ending the "Fluroscent Nerf War" and starting another called - "Let's Get the Dog Who Pooped on My Shoe War."